Google+ Followers

Tuesday, 21 October 2014

Fat shamming and thin priviledge - When is it taken too far?









  





Rijamekee Veii
My extremely dangerouse and very unhealthy weightloss, which made me human again.

 
 
As much as most of us want to pretend we live in a fair world where it's all about 'hard work', we don't and we most of us have woken up to that reality at about the age of five.
I was once a fat person and I had everything from being attacked by strangers to being bullied through high school. By the way, in highschool I got top grades and did everything from editing the school newspaper to being a cheerleader. All meant nothing cause I was podgy and short so all I ever got was being made fun of and the occasional laugh and tease when I walked down the hall.


That was an isolating exzistence cause it never mattered how good I was at anything. I even had girls hating me cause I was fat.

 
 So I lost it...all


Rijamekee Veii 2014
loosing weight:-)





Took a while but it's all gone. Now I'm human again and people actually acknowledge my presence. I don't even outdo myself as much as I used to but Im not lazy or slobby...because I'm thin. I'm like, a person again:-) I hope you got a hint of what many fat people live through everyday by reading this.
 Read on...
Let’s Talk About Thin Privilege
by
 
I have never walked into a clothing store unable to find items in my size.
I have never been asked to pay more for a seat on an airplane.
I have never had someone dismiss me as a dating prospect based on my body type, nor had someone scoff, openly, while watching me eat French fries in public.
I have never experienced a doctor dismissing my concerns with a “lose weight, feel great!” remedy.
And I can open an article with my measurements without fear of judgment.




what society wants


I walk through this world as a thin person.
And as such, I have never experienced fat discrimination.
That said, I want you to know two things:

1. I am writing this article from a privileged perspective; and

2. I am not here to damn, guilt, or embarrass thin people.

But I think we need to have a talk.
Because it’s so easy to fall back on tired old excuses for why we’re not privileged – and I see this a lot when the topic of thin privilege is broached.
Read more here,

 

 

 Teens Love Brandy Melville, A Fashion Brand That Sells Only One Tiny Size

 HuffingtonPost.com|Kim Bhasin|Posted 10.16.2014|Business

Read More:Brandy Melville,Brandy Melville Clothes,Brandy Melville Sizes,Plus-Size,Fat Shaming,Body Image,Business News





Welcome to the hottest teen clothing retailer in the U.S., where the garments are designed for just one body type: thin.

 

 

 

Fat shaming 'makes people eat more rather than less'

Branding people fat "is part of the obesity problem and not the solution", experts warn, as a study shows that weight discrimination in everyday life prompts overweight people to eat more http://www.telegraph.co.uk/health/healthnews/11086483/Fat-shaming-makes-people-eat-more-rather-than-less.html


Rijamekee VeiiRijamekee Veii

‘Fat shaming’ doesn’t work, a new study says

 

 

If, somehow, you think shaming overweight or obese people helps them lose weight, here's a news flash: It doesn't.

A new study from University College London evaluated the question: Are people who experience discrimination or negative interactions based on their weight actually encouraged to lose the extra pounds?

The answer, according to their findings, is a clear no.

Not only do people who report day-to-day discrimination not lose weight, they actually gain weight.

Rijamekee VeiiRijamekee Veii

'The dentist was worried I might break his chair': The hurtful fat-shaming experienced by overweight women three times a day

  • As part of the research, a group of 50 overweight and obese women kept daily diaries for a week; 1,077 weight-stigmatizing events were reported


Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-2691839/The-dentist-worried-I-break-chair-The-hurtful-fat-shaming-experienced-overweight-women-three-times-day.html#ixzz13xIIQQMt
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook






Rijamekee Veii






































Shamed, Flamed, Harassed: What It’s Like To Be Called Fat Online



 

For a study published in the journal Translational Behavioral Medicine, the researchers Wen-Ying Sylvia Chou, Abby Prestin, and Stephen Kunath analyzed a variety of social-media messages — tweets, Facebook posts, and comments on blogs and forums — that contained words like “obese,” “overweight,” and “fat.” “The most prevalent theme” throughout these messages, they write, “is derogation and stigma against overweight individuals.” They noticed “moral repugnance toward overweight people,” “irritation and anger” directed at them, and, in more extreme cases, harassment. Tweets “where aggressors directly and publicly attack other users with weight-related insults,” they write, “are unfortunately common.”


http://op-talk.blogs.nytimes.com/2014/10/03/shamed-flamed-harassed-what-its-like-to-be-called-fat-online/?_php=true&_type=blogs&_r=0


My closing words?
Do unto others as you would have them do unto you, that's actually in the bible (Mathew 7:12)